It's not uncommon to honor someone by naming a street after them. To honor one of my favorite authors, a group in Portland, Oregon is trying to get 42nd Avenue named after Douglas Adams.
What a great idea. It is so much better than just changing the name of "Elm St." or "Main St." to the name of a famous person - 42 actually is relevant to Douglas Adams' life, works, and his fans.
Here's a few more reason, from the group's website:
- It will reflect Portlanders’ commitment to the arts.
- It will reflect Portlanders’ respect for the environment.
- It will reflect Portlanders’ desire to provide technological access to all.
- It will reflect Portlanders’ passion to further education to all people.
- It will remind all Portlanders’ the most important lesson in times of uncertainty and fear…
I hope that the Portland Library has gotten behind this effort, as it is a great way to promote reading and fun. This is also something other communities could do, as well - well, those with 42nd streets.